You cannot open IE browser instance if Protected Mode settings are not the same for all zones OR if the browser is zoomed.
- To resolve this, Open IE Browser and go to Internet Options windows.
- Click on Security tab and make sure ‘Internet‘,’Local Intranet‘,’Trusted sites‘ and ‘Restricted sites‘ have ‘Enable Protected Mode‘ either checked or unchecked for all options.
- Apply and save the settings and re-run the test code. It should work.
Below workaround is provided which will help you to temporarily solve the problem.
DesiredCapabilities caps = DesiredCapabilities.internetExplorer();
WebDriver driver = new InternetExplorerDriver(caps);
Note : If you don’t have permission to change IE settings,Request you to contact your IT administrator to get the required changes done.
- Protected Mode is an important step forward in security for Internet Explorer (IE), it helps protect users from attack by running an IE process with greatly restricted privileges.
- Protected Mode settings, like almost all other settings of IE, are stored in the Windows registry and are checked when the browser is instantiated.
- The driver needed a workaround for people who couldn’t set those IE settings because their machine was overly locked down and so capabiltity fetaure was introduced.
- It simply bypasses the registry check. Using the capability doesn’t solve the underlying problem though.
- Unexpected hangs, element location not working, and clicks not being propagated, could result.
- To help warn people of this potential problem, the capability was given big scary-sounding names like INTRODUCE_FLAKINESS_BY_IGNORING_SECURITY_DOMAINS.
- Ask your IT support to make the changes and if still using the capability you are risking the stability of your code.